Vestry minutes – 8/16/2016

August 16, 2016
6:00 pm

Vestry Members: Clare Andreasson, Maria DiStefano-Post, Nancy Flowers, Eddie Grim, Helen Hankins, Sue Kelly, Michael Mittelstaedt, Anne Montgomery, Donna Olendorf, Jeff Tibbits, Marian Vermeulen, Chuck Wolterink (Absentees in Italics)

Guests Present: Nancy Johnson, Dave Triplett
Staff Present: Ann Hackett  
Clergy Present: The Rev. Carlton Kelley

Prayer and Check-in:
Carlton opened with a prayer and we shared what was happening in our lives.

Scripture & Study:
Carlton gave us background information on The Magnificant-The Song of Mary. As we read it together, Carlton asked us to individually think about how “our soul” proclaims the greatness of the Lord. We are each called to be “God-bearers” in this world.

Approve/Amend the Agenda:
The August 16, 2016 agenda was approved by acclamation.

The minutes from the July 20, 2016 meeting were approved by acclamation with corrections. Edit the two misspellings of Carlton’s name in the minutes.

Forum for Congregational Concerns:
Nancy Johnson spoke about possible changes at the Food Pantry. She is advocating we expand our boundaries to cover all of Grand Traverse County and limit client visits to two times per month. Nancy said it would not be a problem to monitor and she would work out the details. This new plan is in keeping with other food pantries in the area and will stretch the food to feed more people.

Motion: by Donna, seconded by Maria, to limit food pantry patrons to twice monthly and expand the boundaries to Grand Traverse County with exceptions based on the discretion of the pantry volunteers. Motion passed.

Old Business:
Dave Triplett spoke about the updated quote regarding the EPS Surveillance System. Seven cameras will be installed for $4,000. There will be a monthly fee of $50 which includes periodic monitoring of the cameras for cleaning, adjusting, updating, replacing, and staff retraining. Dave answered questions about the new technology which will update our system by 25 years.


Rector Report:
The vestry went into closed session to review an email sent to Canon Spaid.

Treasurer’s Report:
In the absence of Mark, Ann reviewed the July financials. The Youth Fund has received a gift of $5,000. At this time, the financials are comfortable and we have not had to dip into savings. The financials will now include the expense of the salary for the Director of Children and Youth Formation as Donna begins her work on staff.

Parish Administrator Report:
We are in a position financially to purchase the EPS Surveillance System using already designated money from the GEC Foundation.

Motion: by Nancy, seconded by Marian, to accept the EPS proposal for a video surveillance system for $4,000 using funds previously set aside in the designated savings account (line 1005.2). Motion passed.

Motion: by Nancy, seconded by Eddie, for the monthly maintenance fee ($50/mo) to be expensed out of line 7620 Property Repair & Maintenance in the budget.

Discussion ensued regarding using the Hughes Maintenance Fund to claim the expense for both the $4,000 system and the monthly fee of $50. We all agreed this would be a good use of that money. Motion passed with an addendum.

Addendum: Use the Hughes Maintenance Fund for both the $4,000 system and the monthly fee of $50.

An office monitor for the EPS system will be purchased using funds from the General Fund.

A letter was received from Mike McDonald, Safe Harbor Steering Committee Chairperson, seeking continued support from Grace both in terms of volunteers and financial support in their new location on Wellington Street for a Safe Harbor Shelter. The letter seeks a written pledge for a three year term to staff a segment of the shelter season consistent with each church’s past practice and to financially support the upcoming capital campaign and operational needs of Safe Harbor.

Motion: by Eddie, supported by Clare, to offer a three year pledge to continue its support of the Safe Harbor ministry by taking responsibility for an interval of shelter operations consistent with services provided by our church during the 2015/2016 season. We also commit to a best efforts fundraising drive (or dedicate a portion of discretionary funds) towards the upcoming Safe Harbor Capital Campaign and operational needs of the ministry. Motion passed.

Grace is in need of a Safe Harbor Coordinator. Safe Harbor will continue in the churches this year. We will be partnering with Faith Reformed Church at Faith Reformed Church during the week of November 26.

Swing Shift and the Stars Fundraiser for Jubilee House has $42,150 in donations.

September 18 is the Great Parish Swap to St. Philip’s Episcopal Church in Beulah. Please sign up in the commons.

Senior Warden Report:
Donna led us in a Mutual Ministry Review as recommended in Fr. Carlton’s Covenant. It has been three months since his arrival and we reflected on Carlton’s strengths, development opportunities, and future goals. In feedback received by Donna, overall, the congregation feels we are blessed to have Fr. Carlton as our interim at Grace.

Donna expressed gratitude to Helen and Clare for assuming the roles of co-senior wardens and passed the wooden gavel with two pink ribbons to them. Donna begins her new position as Director of Children and Youth Formation on Wednesday, August 17.

Junior Warden Report:
Jeff reported that Bob Foote contacted him about the motion to purchase proper Holy Week vestments at the request of Fr. Carlton. He was not aware we did not have the proper vestments. Carlton explained Holy Week is the centerpiece to the church year and a solemn time. It requires a solemn red which is different than what we currently have. Carlton will explain his request to Bob.

Follow-up & Follow-through:

  • Ann will correct the two misspellings of Carlton’s name in the minutes.
  • Helen will follow-up with Anne regarding tonight’s vestry meeting.
  • Ann will purchase a monitor for the EPS Surveillance System.
  • Carlton will send an email to Bob Foote regarding the need for different Holy Week vestments.
  • Clare and Maria will work with Ann to set a realistic budget for the Rector Search Committee.
  • Sue will type up the Mutual Ministry Review notes and send copies to Clare, Helen, Ann, and Carlton.
  • The vestry will conduct a second Mutual Ministry Review with Carlton in December.

Compline followed by dismissal at 9:37.
Respectfully submitted,

Sue Kelly
Vestry Clerk





We have temporarily suspended all in-person gatherings for worship, along with all in-person events not related to our vital outreach ministries. We look forward to returning to joyful worship together. Please check back for announcement of dates. Full letter from Father Jim here.

During this period, we will offer the opportunity to engage in prayer, worship, and discipleship via Facebook Live.
Sat at 5pm
Sun at 10am

To ensure continuity for the church and our vital ministries to our community, please consider online giving in lieu of your plate offerings.

Stay tuned and stay safe. 🙏🏻❤️

Our website is brand new! We are still adding and refining content. Please let us know if you find any errors or missing links.

Share on email